Resources & Deals
We created this resource page so you can easily find a list of good products and services that we use and/or have researched and believe are valuable.
Disclosure: Some of the links are affiliate links, and we may receive commissions for purchased made through these links, but these are all services and products that we recommend.
Setting Up Your Website
WordPress: WordPress a free popular content management system and used by many small and large websites. The set-up process is fairly straightforward.
NameCheap: NameCheap is a great place to buy your domain from.
WP Engine: We really like WP Engine to host your website. WP Engine is a WordPress-only hosting company, and they provide incredibly fast speeds and great customer service.
BlueHost: BlueHost is another great hosting company. They can host both WordPress and non-WordPress websites. BlueHost is one of the top web hosting companies and you can start your website for as low as $2.65 per month.
Weebly: Weebly is good for building a quick and simple website. Their drag and drop interface makes building a website easy and fast.
Google G Suite: G Suite is Gmail for businesses. If you are already using Gmail and other Google products, it will be an easily transition to use G Suite for your business emails. If you click on our link and use the following promo codes, you will receive 20% off your first year.
Building Your Website
Genesis/StudioPress: Genesis is one of the most popular WordPress themes. It’s flexible and affordable. For a one-time purchase fee of $59.95, you receive unlimited updates and support.
Theme Isle: Theme Isle offers several popular WordPress themes as well as plugins.
MyFonts: MyFonts has one of the largest selection of fonts to use on your website. They are easy to integrate.
Protecting Your Website
Comodo SSL: SSL is important for protecting your website and providing authentication and trust to your visitors. It can also help your Google rankings, as Google is providing a small boost to sites with SSL. Comodo SSL is considered to be one of the best SSL certificate providers.
Mailing Lists and Email Management
Aweber: Aweber is very useful if you have a blog. It allows readers to subscribe to your newsletters and blog posts. Your first month is free, which you can use to test it out.
Freshbooks: Freshbooks is a software service for small businesses to keep track of income and expenses, send invoices, and more.
Grammarly: Grammarly is an online proofreading tool that helps you write error-free and easy to read content. The free version provides grammar and spelling checks, while the premium version includes advanced checks, vocabulary enhancement suggestions, genre-specific writing style checks, and a plagiarism detector.
Some good books:
- If you are interested in improving your writing, you should read the classic Strunk and White’s Elements of Style. The book’s advice is as valuable as it is short – great advice delivered concisely.
- Anne Lamott’s Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life as well as Roy Peter Clark’s Writing Tools: 55 Essential Strategies for Every Writing are also excellent readings.
- The Sony A7 III is very popular and shoots beautiful photos. The body is smaller than most comparable cameras.
- The Fujifilm X100F is a great compact camera for the enthusiast photographer.
- The Nikon D7500 and the Canon EOS 80D are also excellent cameras.
Some good books:
If you are interested in improving your photography skills the following books are great to read.
- BetterPhoto Basics is a great introductory book for beginning photographers.
- How to Create Stunning Digital Photography by Tony Northrup is a classic book, and very good for teaching tool. With the book, you also receive access to the community forum and Facebook page where you can learn from peers.